High-Speed Chase, Armed Standoff with LAPD Ends with Suspect’s Surrender

A four-hour pursuit and standoff between the LAPD, its SWAT team, and a man armed with an assault rifle ended Monday afternoon in North Hollywood. The events ended when authorities fired tear gas into the home in which the rifle-wielding suspect – who was described as an Hispanic male – barricaded himself according to the Los Angeles Times.

The disarmed suspect was taken into custody by authorities around 3:00 p.m.

Throughout the standoff, LAPD Lieutenant Andy Neiman emphasized the LAPD’s intent to end the standoff in a peaceful manner. Speaking to a local Fox News affiliate in Los Angeles, he tried to send out a message to the suspect: “Give yourself up. There are other ways to resolve this… Just give yourself up.”

The armed suspect, whose name the police did not release, took the LAPD on a high-speed chase and into a standoff on the rooftop of a residential North Hollywood neighborhood before holing himself up inside of a home located on the 11500 block of Hartsook Street.

The LAPD’s SWAT team arrived on the scene in front of the home where the suspect was barricaded, and a few hours later, he surrendered to authorities, according to live coverage of the standoff by Fox News.

According to Lt. Neiman, the dispute began a few days ago when the suspect made criminal threats against his girlfriend. An arrest warrant was issued for the 40-year-old suspect. A restraining order was reportedly also in place, according to Fox News.

The pursuit began around 10:15 am in California’s Boyle Heights area on Monday, after the suspect was noticed sitting outside of his girlfriend’s home, notes the Times.

The chase ended and the standoff began when the suspect exited his vehicle around 11:30 am and proceeded to run through the North Hollywood neighborhood before climbing onto a rooftop and disappearing before he holed himself up a home. The situation finally came to an end when teargas was fired into the home.

The LAPD had urged all residents in the area to stay indoors as a precautionary measure throughout the standoff.

Nearby, the Oakwood School, which is located on Magnolia Boulevard, just east of the 170 freeway, was evacuated by the LAPD and the Los Angeles Unified Police. According to Lt. Neiman everyone from the Oakwood School had been moved to the nearby Hollywood park and parking lot on Magnolia Avenue.

“You never know what’s going to happen in these situations so we prepare for the worst, hope for the best,” Lt. Neiman said.

No injuries were reported.




Source: Breitbart Feed

Reid Calls for More Gun Control Before Facts in on Las Vegas Attack

On June 9, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said the Senate needs to pass expanded background checks in light of the June 8 Las Vegas shooting, although the facts are still out on how or when the attackers acquired their guns.

Expanded background checks failed to pass in April 2013.

According to Politico, Reid has now gone from promising to bring the bill back up “when it has the votes to pass” to “strongly advocating that the Senate revisit the background checks legislation” now.

“We in Congress, we need to put in place legislation that helps prevent these deranged, these weird, these savage people who carry out such savage acts of violence,” Reid said. “Background checks so that people who are criminals, who are deranged can’t buy a gun.” He did not say anything about the more sensible solution of getting deranged, weird, and savage people off our streets.

Breitbart News has reported the U.S. has had background checks in place since 1993. Breitbart News also reported that Nidal Hasan (Fort Hood, November 2009), Karl Halverson Pierson (Arapahoe High School gunman), Aaron Alexis (DC Navy Yard gunman), Paul Anthony Ciancia (LAX gunman), James Holmes (Aurora theater gunman), and Ivan Lopez (Fort Hood, April 2014) all passed background checks. 

Background checks in no way prevented these individuals from committing crimes.

Moreover, when Reid called for expanded background checks after the April Fort Hood attack, Breitbart News pointed out that the expanded background checks are really just the same background checks the United States has now, applied to every sale instead of just retail sales. The structure and mechanism for any other type of checks doesn’t even exist. 

But that does not matter, because Democrats know that if they can pass expanded background checks it will finally open the door to a federal gun registry, which has to be in place to make expanded background checks enforceable. The registry is the real goal.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.




Source: Breitbart Feed

Did California Mayor Run a Red Light While Texting?

Questions have risen as to whether or not Oakland Mayor Jean Quan was texting behind the wheel before the vehicle she was driving was struck by another vehicle whose driver allegedly ran a red light. Two different accounts of what happened took place on Sunday, as the mayor was traveling from one church event to another.

According to police, Quan was headed north on Market Street at the intersection with 26th Street in Oakland around 5:30 pm on Sunday, in a newer model, city-issued Lexus SUV when the unnamed female driver of a 2008 Nissan Altima struck her vehicle, San Jose Mercury News reports. The female driver was accompanied by a 14-year-old boy. Both were reportedly in pain and were taken to a hospital for examination.

But Margarett Randel, 22, who witnessed the collision, said Quan actually ran the red light and that she saw Quan looking down as she did. Randel, who was standing outside when the car accident occurred, told the Mercury News, “I seen the whole thing… Mayor Quan passed right through the red light. She wasn’t looking where she was going. She was looking down.” Randel did not say whether or not she believed the mayor was using her cellphone, according to the Mercury News

Quan’s spokesman Sean Maher said Quan was neither texting nor talking on the phone when the collision occurred. 

Just one week ago on Sunday and Monday, photographs emerged of what appear to be Mayor Quan texting and driving and another where she is holding a cell phone up to her ear while driving, respectively. Quan, who said she was searching for an address, told reporters that she believed her action to be allowed under state law, the Mercury News reports.

According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, “the new Wireless Communications Device Law (effective January 1, 2009) makes it an infraction to write, send, or read text-based communication on an electronic wireless communications device, such as a cell phone, while driving a motor vehicle.”

Photo: Reuters


Source: Breitbart Feed

Telegraph: Guardian Ignored and Misrepresented Evidence of Islamist Plot

The Telegraph’s Andrew Gilligan has today written about the Guardian newspaper’s inability to report the Islamist ‘Trojan Horse’ plot correctly:

There’s a lot of bad journalism about Muslims in this country, but not all of it is at the tabloid “Islamic-only toilets” end of the market. On the subject of the hardline takeover of Birmingham schools, I think The Guardian may be Britain’s most dishonest newspaper.

It’s a very good paper in some ways – but it has a complete blind spot about any story involving Islamists. Its coverage of Tower Hamlets has been spectacularly misleading. And the reporting on Trojan Horse by its education editor, Richard Adams, has been execrable.

Mr Adams now pronounces the entire saga a “crude witch-hunt” based on “not much evidence of anything,” claiming that “most” of the allegations of “segregated classes, compulsory prayers and incendiary preachers at school assemblies … have crumbled under examination.”

The evidence of “incendiary preachers at school assemblies” – Sheikh Shady al-Suleiman, an al-Qaeda sympathiser, at Park View School on November 28 2013 – in fact comes from one of the school’s official newsletters, still available on its own website (see photo above, from page 17 of this PDF).

At another of the schools, Oldknow, an official Education Funding Agency report finds that the Arabic teacher, Asif Khan, led anti-Christian chanting in assemblies (though also records his denial). I too have been told about Mr Khan’s anti-Christian assembly by four separate sources, one of them on the record. There is other on-the-record testimony that Park View’s head, Mozz Hussain, preached “mind-blowing” anti-American assemblies.

Read more at the Telegraph




Source: Breitbart Feed

British Records for Abortions of Down’s Syndrome Babies Missing

A new investigation by the British government has found that hundreds of Down’s Syndrome babies aborted by British clinics have disappeared from records, supposedly due to poor administration.

The investigation found that British clinic doctors have broken the law by not keeping proper records. Perhaps as many as half the aborted Down’s Syndrome babies were not properly recorded.

Saying that “the bulk of terminations” in Britain occur to eliminate Down’s Syndrome babies, The Daily Mail goes on to report abortions are being misidentified as “social abortions.”

The Mail reports that, “The investigation, published on the Department of Health website, shows that in 2012 a total of 994 babies were aborted for Down’s Syndrome, according to the independent National Down’s Syndrome Cytogenetic Register.”

But the investigation found that the department of Health only recorded 496 cases, “meaning that 498 cases were classed as missing.”

The reason this is known is that Down’s Syndrome pregnancies are reported separately to the government and government officials have correlated the reporting.

Under the Abortion Act, termination of a baby with Down’s Syndrome is legal right up to the point of delivery. Such terminations are hugely controversial because due to medical advances, children with Down’s can now expect to live until their fifties and sixties. Tory MP Fiona Bruce, chairman of the recent independent parliamentary inquiry into abortion for disability, said it was clear doctors had broken the law.

The paper goes on to report that the Department of Health has made no effort to make sure that this law is enforced.

“We now know that nearly half of abortions for Down’s Syndrome were incorrectly recorded. How many doctors were referred for investigation? None,” MP Bruce said.

“It was horrifying to read that 11 Down’s Syndrome abortions post 24 weeks do not even appear in the official dataset,” Professor Joan Morris, director of the NDSCR, said.

Critics of aborting babies with Down’s Syndrome charge that such abortions are only a matter of convenience, not necessity.

“The abortion isn’t for the sake of the child; it’s for the sake of the parent. They don’t want an inconvenient child, a baby who may require them to work a little harder than they planned,” Casey Fiano of Life Site News wrote in October of 2013.

Follow Warner Todd Huston on Twitter @warnerthuston or email the author at igcolonel@hotmail.com




Source: Breitbart Feed